Sunday, October 28, 2012

Lately

Life has been a little strange and I've been a little bit "off" lately. After I returned from Thailand, we had public holidays on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. It was like a ghost town around here because everyone returns to their home province to be with their families. I was supposed to return to work the following Monday but instead, I was sick for the entire week last week! After a couple of days, I decided to get some antibiotics. This is always an interesting process in Cambodia. I went to the "pharmacy" that ended up being a small stand on the side of the road. I bought the amoxicillin from a girl that couldn't have been more than 10. For 7 days worth of medication, it was 6000 riel or $1.50. Well, I finished my meds and am still fighting the sickness so who knows what is wrong! I am feeling ten times better than last week, though, when I started crying on skype with my parents. Ha! Last Saturday I felt good enough to go to the "dirty weekend" hosted by Projects Abroad. This is an event that happens once a month and we go to an orphanage or school to paint the walls and jazz up the place. We had a great time (other than the terrible heat) playing with the kids and painting. The kids loved to help us! This morning, I went back to work even though it is a public holiday again. I assumed that people were still sick and surgeries still happen on holidays, silly me! I was there for one hour and the on-call surgeon came up to me and explained that we didn't schedule any surgeries and I should return tomorrow. Then, he returned to his bench to nap. Oh well, I tried!

I am never quite sure as to what these holidays entail and I'm so confused with things most of the time here. The King's funeral procession was on the 17th (the day after the 3-day holiday a couple of weeks back) and so everyone was back in Phnom Penh but a lot of things were closed for the funeral. Then, from what I understand, there is supposed to be 7 days of mourning and "happy" things cannot occur. Music can't be played, bars are closed, restaurants are closed and everyone wears black ribbons on their clothing. Each night, everyone gathers at the Royal Palace to mourn the death of the king. I really don't understand much of this because more than 7 days later, these things still occur. I attended the gathering at the Palace last night and although many people were praying and mourning, the people in the back were on the grass and it looked more like a social event. People were selling light-up toys and having picnics. It reminded me of a community park on the 4 of July! One day I will figure this place out...

Painting outside of the orphanage


Playing at the school in the slums

The tribute to King Sihanouk at the Royal Palace

Kids outside of the palace showing me what to do with my candles and incense

Outside of the Royal Palace
There isn't much else going on over here but every day is a new adventure! I am seeing pictures of Husker tailgates on facebook and you all look SO COLD but of course, you're having so much fun!

1 comment: