Monday, September 10, 2012


The past week and a half in pediatrics has been a lot of fun. All of the kids that I see are HIV positive and I usually help with physical exams. Sometimes the patients just come in because they need a refill on their HIV meds but sometimes they have other problems too.

Last week, a little boy named Prathana came into our office. He is 10 years old, HIV positive, has TB and severe malnutrition. He was only 33 pounds! He has avoided staying in the hospital because he is scared. The last time he was told that he needed to be admitted, he would have had to stay alone in the hospital so his parents could go home to work. I would be scared too! When the doctor told him that he needed to stay again this time he was incredibly sad. There really wasn’t any other option for him because if he didn’t stay this time, there is a good chance that little Prathana would die.  Staying in the hospital means that he will get regular medicine and meals, which is something he isn’t getting at home. Apparently his mother, also HIV positive with TB, is very forgetful due to her medications and so she often forgets to give Prathana his HIV meds. They’re incredibly poor so they’re lucky to get one good meal per day. Prathana’s lack of proper nutrition and regular medication has led to him developing AIDS. He has chronic abdominal pain as well. He has been in the hospital for 6 days now. He is dealing with some constipation and of course, malnutrition. His meals (although he is now in the hospital) consist of white rice and some green beans. I went to visit him in his room on Monday and met his two sisters and father. His mother, father and sisters are also HIV positive. He has one oldest sibling (14 years old) who is HIV negative and is staying at home. His two little sisters are adorable and the smallest one, Vanchhy, is especially full of energy and joy! She loved playing and getting her picture taken. I spoke with the doctor and asked what I could get Prathana to help him while he was in the hospital. We decided that he would really benefit from Pediasure and prune juice (I think this was the dietitian in me…). On Tuesday, I was able to bring his family those two things along with some other food, toothpaste, toothbrushes and toys for the kids. Vanchhy was especially excited for the crayons and her new princess notebook to color in! Keep the Chharn family in your prayers—they are very sweet people!

I have a few days left in pediatrics and I am thinking I may stay for next week as well. I have a new favorite part of the day--stopping by the NICU and visiting the tiny, tiny babies! 

Tonight I’m going to go to a yoga class with a few other girls and just seeing if we like it! We are pretty excited so I hope it isn’t a flop! On Friday, I’m going with my roommate to take some of the kids from the orphanage to a water park (this should be an exhausting experience…). We plan on taking a cooking class on Saturday and then next weekend, I’m going with a couple of girls to Sihanoukville for our 3-day weekend! So much fun ahead! 

Tiny little pre-mature baby!

The Chharn family

Vanchhy with her new Princess Book!

1 comment: